Wednesday, February 14, 2018

When in London

"London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down. lalalalalalala my fair lady"


Yeayyy!! Alhamdulillah... finally dapat jugak menjejakkan kaki di bumi Eropah ni. Actually, I went to London with my beloved husband. If you were scrolling down to other entries (later) to view the pictures first, you must be wondered why there's so many 'selfie' photos. It's because of my husband is attending a one-whole-week workshop in London called Global Innovation Policy Accelerator Program; together with another 6 representatives from Malaysia and also a few more from Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines etc. The event was confirmed last-minute, precisely 3 days before departure. And my husband insisted me to join along as a 'so-called' gift/token for me after been sacrificed (that's a big word) left 'home-alone' most on every weekend when my husband pursuing his Master in Technology Management @ UTM. Alhamdulillah he passed with flying colors with CGPA 3.96. Congratulations, my dear husband!

The other 6 participants from Malaysia were flying on Malaysia Airlines; a direct flight to London. I don't think I can manage to sit on a plane for a 14 hours straight. The furthest or longest I've been before London was Japan for 7 hours flight. Hence, I booked my own flight to London Heathrow Airport on Emirates Airlines, via Dubai. In fact, the fare is cheaper when travelling on Emirates. Cost me only at RM 3,200 for return fare for travelling on 27th January - 04th February 2018. We extended one more night because we planned to shopping at Bicester Village on 3rd February. If we are taking the 3rd February flight back to KL, the fare is way cheaper @ RM 2,700± only! No kidding. Whilst on Malaysia Airlines, the fare was RM 4,500±! I can buy a lot of handbags with that RM 1,000 plus haha 
kemana kita ni??
Our preferred flight details:-
     27 JAN     KUL/DXB     EK 347     1910/2230
     28 JAN     DXB/LHR     EK 007     0310/0710
     04 FEB     LHR/DXB     EK 008     0910/2000
     04 FEB     DXB/KUL     EK 344     2135/0830+1

All aircraft on Airbus A380 except for Dubai/KL flight - Boeing 777 (-.-)" .
I must have arrive KL on 5th February cause I've a VVIP group travelling to Danang Vietnam on the next morning. Anyhoo, i really enjoyed Emirates' in-flight entertainment, meals onboard, seating, and other services. BestJ
.
.
.
Arrived at London Heathrow on 28th January. The weather was good - sunny, 13°c and a little bit windy.
From London Heathrow, I topup my Oyster Card (something like myRapid, where we can use for both underground and public buses) £34 for unlimited 7-days of usage, covered Area 1&2. The exchange rate was £1 = RM 5.57. We took the London Underground (also known as Tube) on Piccadilly Line to Holborn station at £6 per ticket. This Underground began its operation over 150 years ago make it as the oldest underground railway in the World.
with my husband
a very useful MAP

Why Holborn station?
Because my husband's company booked our stay at The Z Hotel City, Fleet Street. Takes us 15-minutes walk from the station to the hotel. This is the only available hotel on those dates, available for this big group and close to their workshop places. The room rate is quite pricey (if I'm not mistaken nearly £120± per room per night without breakfast), but the hotel and the room is so small. Apart from that; in term of the location, it is close to Tesco, Temple Station (Circle & Distict Line), River Thames, Blackfriar, St. Paul Cathedral, Covent Garden etc... and most importantly, it's surrounded by beautiful classic buildings. Love the architecture! 
 
After drop our luggage at the hotel, me and my husband grab some sandwiches at Pret a Manger nearby hotel before we took a Tube ride to Bayswater area for food hunting. There's plenty of Pret a Manger all over UK. It's NOT a Halal shop, but we still can have their hot vegetarian soup, egg sandwich and hot beverages.  

At Bayswater/Queensway street, there's a lot of Halal Restaurants and souvenir shops. There's The Taza Sandwich (kebab), Putera Puteri Cafe (Malaysian), Tuk Tuk Thai Noodle Bar, Horapha Thai, Noodle Oodle, Moor & Hitch and many moreee and only two blocks away to Malaysia Hall.
We had our meals at 2pm local time but it's already 10pm Malaysia time; at Gelgela Restaurant. They served us with Roast Chicken with rice and salads for £8.50 only. Highly recommended! Good place to dine in because the food is delicious, big portion, we can request for gravy for free, and the restaurant is cozy and spacious. We did dine at this same restaurant, thrice
 
Aside comments:-
Taza restaurant is quite small and not suitable for dine in; maybe more to grab-&-go type of customer. And the Chicken Kebab was so salty for me. 
I didn't try Putera Puteri because the restaurant and the food portion looks so small (see above photo - right). And according to a family from JB I met on 31st Jan, the daughter told me that Putera Puteri is too expensive, she spent £45 for 2 pax. 
I did tried Tuk Tuk Thai but I don't like it. I took Massaman Curry Lamb with Fried Rice. It was lousy. 
Unfortunately Noodle Oodle was closed for couple days during my visit.
At Moor & Hitch (next to Gelgela), I tried the Fish&Chips but the fish didn't cooked well. Again, lousy.

Should try Wrap City Kebab in front of Apollo Victoria, Victoria station. Cheap, delicious and good service. Half pounder Beef Burger only at £5.50. Highly recommended! Been there twice.
.
We bought local simcards at Vodafone (nearby Gelgela Restaurant) £20 for 6GB. It's very useful especially when I frequently use Google Maps. You can download MyVodafone apps to monitor your data usage too.
.
We are so jetlag
Back to hotel and had our beautiful sleep at 4pm local time (but it's already midnight in Malaysia). Of course I'm excited but at the same time, I'm so tired. Need to re-charge for another 6-days London exploring and also to reset my body clock. 
.
.
Click link for other entries here :
January 29th 2018 ~ sightseeing in London
January 30th 2018 ~ being a Londoner
January 31st 2018 ~ winter in England
February 1st 2018 ~ A day out in London
February 2nd 2018 ~ Landaannnn
February 3rd & 4th 2018 ~ Two is better than One

No comments:

Post a Comment